Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cooking with Something New: Broccolini

"Broccolini is a green vegetable similar to broccoli but with small florets and long, thin stalks." per Wikipedia, reliable source, I know! ;)

I'm trying to eat more (and new) vegetables. I'm not a huge fan of broccoli but I was trying to incorporate it into things I was cooking but with little luck. I kept thinking the taste was a bit overwhelming and wanted it more tender. And, I also don't see the point in just smothering it in cheese in order to consume a vegetable. I watch a lot of cooking shows and they seem to use a lot of broccolini. We picked some up last time we were at Central Market and I cooked it using this recipe from Epicurious.

The recipe could have used a bit more seasoning but overall it turned out pretty tasty. I was pretty surprised that I didn't totally hate it (I'm pretty picky... probably not surprising to anyone). The stalks come out really tender and there's a lot less of the pieces that get stuck in your teeth. Most important, the flavor is a lot milder than regular broccoli which is good for me!

2 comments:

  1. Chad and I eat broccoli all the time, the best way to eat it is steamed! (We just use our Calphalon steamer on the stove) It makes it super tender and it looks so fresh. We usually don't even season it with anything because it doesn't need it. And Chad is pretty picky when it comes to veggies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i couldn't find you on gchat today...this is your FIRST time for broccolini!? i've been eating it for YEARS! i'm obsessed...i just put a tiny bit of olive oil in a pan and throw them all in there, cover with a lid, squeeze some lemon if you want in there and some crushed pepper and let it steam up. SO GOOD! :D

    ReplyDelete