Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pumpkin Bread with Cinnamon Chips

With fall weather right around the corner (which really occurred a couple of weeks ago when I actually made this bread), I couldn't resist making some homemade pumpkin bread with cinnamon chips. I got the recipe from Fake Ginger's blog, which is super cute. I visited two stores searching for cinnamon chips (which I assumed would look like chocolate chips except be cinnamon) but walked away empty handed from both stores. I started doing some searching online and found a lot of people complaining about a "waxy" taste of the cinnamon chips and that most people were unable to find any at all. I took one of the suggested recipes from these answers and just made my own cinnamon chips which was probably a better idea overall.

Cinnamon Chips (approximately 1 cup):

1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon solid all-vegetable shortening (I used unsalted butter instead)
1 tablespoon light corn syrup

Heat oven to 200F. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix with fork until uniform and crumbly. Spread on foil lined baking sheet (I sprayed mine with Pam) and bake until melted and bubbly, about 35 minutes. Cool completely, then break into small pieces. Makes approximately 1 cup.


I left half the loaf at home for Mike and I and took the remaining pieces to work. I wish I could send some to my sister-in-law, Tarah! Pumpkin season is her fave!

No comments:

Post a Comment