Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chicken Salad, Yogurt Biscuits...

I really do not like when I get excited about a new recipe (or two) and they end up tasting blah... totally mediocre, so-so, a dud. Case-in-point, the chicken salad and yogurt biscuits I made last night to bring to work for lunch this week. Recipes/ingredients sound good, not difficult to put together... taste... meh. I'll say it again, mediocre.

I've desperately trying to find a good chicken salad recipe that isn't hosed in mayonnaise (I'm seriously not a fan of mayo, it kind of weirds me out. The only way I enjoy it is homemade on my grandmother's potato salad that would be strategically situated near me on any Thanksgiving/Christmas table if I could make it happen.) This chicken salad is just missing something... there's no zing, nothing that makes you go "hm... that is so good!" The recipe consisted of chicken, 1 tbs. each mayo and Dijon mustard, olive oil, red bell pepper, green onion, salt, and pepper.

The yogurt biscuits. I love biscuits. They are not exactly a health food so any recipe that can lessen the buttermilk/heavy cream/real butter is worth trying if that means I get to eat more of them. I think part of the problem with this recipe is that I might have over-kneaded the dough. But that's secondary to the main problem... again, nothing that made me go "wow, these are so good!" I think the recipe needed more salt and maybe a brush of melted butter over the top to enhance the flavor.

Ah well... the search continues. If you have a good chicken salad recipe... pass it on, I need new brown-bag lunch ideas. I'm a huge fan of bringing my lunch and turkey sandwiches can get boring so I'd love to substitute some days with something easy like chicken salad. No links to the recipes today since they were duds!




In totally food-unrelated news, my parents visited for Memorial weekend again this year. These are my favorite types of visits as I do not have to make the long drive :) We went to a Frisco Rough Riders baseball game (they actually won in extra innings!), had Fireside Pies and got their outfits for the wedding squared away! Over the past week, Mike and I also ordered our wedding bands and have scheduled all of our vendors visits to be done in August. I also have been picking up outfits for showers. On deck this week - Mike's suit and continuing to work on the music for the ceremony & reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment